Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Week 15 - Climbing the Mountain

This past week began with climbing the mountain.  It was actually pretty tough.  I realized I didn't bring any shorts here, so I just rolled up my jeans.  It was pretty sick! It's going to be the style when I get home, just sayin.  The hike was really cool though.  The city is huge, and the other side of the mountain has a cool view of non-Mexico City.  At the top of the hill were two giant crosses... catholics.

This week blew by and I honestly don't remember the first part of it. These last couple days were tough.  We had to quit an investigator, and we had a really tough lesson with the daughter of an investigator.  None of our investigator came to church, and we haven't had a baptism in two weeks.

What I've learned:
Fighting with catholics isn't productive. At. All.  It's so not worth it.  You can point out as many flaws or scriptures that prove the Apostasy, but without a desire to learn, they aren't going to listen. That's not saying I fought with this catholic, but instead I sat there.  I did, however, feel the spirit leave when the member, who was with us, tried to fight.  It was seriously a super tough lesson.  I don't even know how to explain it, but I now understand why this investigator has a hard time coming to church and why the other daughters don't listen. The oldest daughter has closed herself off to the spirit. 

Other peoples agency: the investigator we dropped wasn't keeping their commitments, and his "faith" wasn't true faith.  He was trying to create God in his own image, not the other way around.  One of his biggest doubts was that our agency was bad, or not true agency because there are requirements, and consequences.  He wanted Satan's plan. 

None of the members here understand Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy: The old bishop works on Sunday and when he's not working he has employees running his shop.  The meal on Sunday is always supplemented with things purchased 15 minutes before you eat, and in this case, this Sunday the wife handed her husband a wad of money and told him to go buy us food. 

I've been studying obedience and commandments a lot recently, as well as teaching by the spirit.  There are some awesome scriptures of those topics in the English topical guide.  The first part of Jeremiah has a ton of scriptures that apply to being a missionary.  Jeremiah said "I'm too young" and God was said "Go forth and I'll tell you what to say."  I think that that is so cool and so applicable to missions.  I've been trying really hard to follow the spirit recently,  and my spanish has improved along with my ability to teach and to feel what to teach and what to say.  In both of our hard lessons I felt prompted to say very specific things.

Love you guys!!!!

Elder Blotter




No comments:

Post a Comment